What if we had New Year’s Revelations instead of New Year’s Resolutions?
Most people set all kinds of resolutions for the New Year, hoping to change and improve their lot in life in some way or another.
However, good intentions don’t always bring intended improvements and may even lead to frustration, disappointment with one’s self, and a sense of futility when one doesn’t reach the targets set.
So, I would like to propose a new tradition: setting New Year’s revelations instead of resolutions.
I would like to offer you some food for thought for your future prosperity and success by sharing a few New Year’s revelations for the year 2014 from the One who has your best interests at heart. Take some tips from your heavenly Father and get your priorities in order to reap the blessings that He has in store for you.
New Year’s Revelation #1
If you desire to become stronger and healthier, you might make a New Year’s resolution to go to the gym three times a week. However, the Word of God reveals that:
- “Bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come”? [1 Timothy 4:8 NKJV]
New Year’s Revelation #2
If your New Year’s resolution is to make more money than ever before, consider this:
- “The love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.”? [1 Timothy 6:10 NKJV]
- “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” [Matthew 6:19-21]
New Year’s Revelation #3
If we realized this ages ago, we might not have ended up with so many regrets, bad habits, and addictions that we need to break:
- “Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” [Hebrews 12:1-2 NKJV]
- “Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?” [1 Corinthians 6:19]
- “Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct,because it is written, ‘Be holy, for I am holy.’” [1 Peter 1:12-15]
New Year’s Revelation #4
If “travel the world” is not on your resolution list, it’s probably on your “bucket list”. Did you realize that “travelling the world” is a very natural part of God’s plan for us to “go”, and He Himself wants to join us on our adventures. However, we’re often packing our bags to “go” for all the wrong reasons.
- “Go thereforeand make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” [Matthew 28:18-20]
New Year’s Revelation #5
And of course we want to spend more quality time with our families, invest in relationships, and raise our children well. There is nothing wrong with that, except that we often put our personal priorities above those that God has set for us: 1) Love the Lord with all your heart, soul, and strength and 2) Love your neighbour as yourself. When our priorities are in line with God’s, everything else falls into place. If we choose to follow Jesus wherever He leads us, we should not view temporary separation in time and space from those we love as “a cost too great to pay”. I admit I struggle with this more than anything else!
- “And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife[a] or children or lands, for My name’s sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life.” [Matthew 19:29]
New Year’s Revelation #6
Maybe it is time to stop listening to our own ideas and the ideas of this world and realize that there is only one way to becoming a “new you” or a “new me’.
- “This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as the rest of[a] the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind, having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart; who, being past feeling, have given themselves over to lewdness, to work all uncleanness with greediness. But you have not so learned Christ,if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus: that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.” [Ephesians 4:17-23]
May 2014 be a year of revelation for you – and may the “new you” walk on this earth to bring light and hope to this dark world we’re living in.
If you have any New Year’s revelations to add to this list, please leave a comment!