Since the day I made a decision to believe the Bible – and ALL of it – my life has changed forever.
I did not want to hang on to half-truths anymore by picking and choosing only those verses I felt comfortable with because they made me feel good. I was searching for the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. And I was willing to take it, even if it made me feel uncomfortable by revealing my true nature.
I decided I would rather swallow my pride and look into the mirror of His Word to see my life as He sees me rather than to be a hypocrite, lost for eternity.
And like my husband always says: “I would rather stand in front of God one day and have Him tell me that I took His Word too seriously or too literally than to hear Him say: ‘Depart from me, I don’t know you’.”
I’ve been a nominal Christian most of my life, but I mistakenly under-estimated the importance of believing every single word in the Bible. Looking back on the past two years, I realise that I was foolish not to search out truth and wisdom from His Word.
It has changed EVERYTHING…
On a physical level
- We sold everything and moved half-way across the world to another country.
- We decided to get baptized as an act of obedience to “die to ourselves that we might be risen with Christ”.
- I have made the career changes needed for us to be able to be here.
- When I’m not teaching, I’m learning how to adapt to life in the East.
- I’m more actively “doing” what Gods says rather than just “hearing” the Word.
- God has blessed us with abundance so that I can honestly say, “The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not want.”
On a cognitive level
- I no longer puff myself up with delusions that “I am a good person”. I know better. The two-edged sword has circumcised my heart and taught me all about REPENTANCE.
- I now realize the importance of “renewing my mind” in His Word every day. This way, I get victory over my doubts and fears that arise from listening to the lies of the enemy. The Holy Spirit is my teacher and the Word of God a lamp to my feet.
- I fully believe that Jesus is the only “way, truth, and life”. I believe that He was and is the Living Word. Every word Jesus spoke had power to give life; even so, as we speak His Word in faith today, its power is not diminished to bring forth life because He is alive forevermore.
On a spiritual level
- I have no idea how I sat through church almost every Sunday of my life. Read through the Bible more than five times… And still never realized that the Word of God is all about God’s love and His promises to His children. It is not a practical guide to living a good life or mere religious doctrine and laws to teach us what we should and should not do. It is about the work of His Spirit to change us into His image when we finally realize that we can’t do it ourselves and yield to Him as Lord.
- Spiritual warfare is an everyday reality, and it is an honour to simply “stand” on the side of Jesus. The side of Victory. His name is above all names and every evil spirit knows it, far better than we do, and trembles at His Word.
- We cannot do anything in our own strength, we need to be edified by the Word, the promises of God, and by the gifts of the Spirit working in the Church. We need to put on the whole armour of the Spirit to withstand the enemy; and we need to stand steadfast on the side of Victory. He does the work, and we simply follow Him into victory with praises to His name.
On a denominational level
- I looked up the word “denomination” in my Bible and I couldn’t find it.
- I love that we get to connect with local churches wherever we go. God doesn’t need foreigners to promote their own ministries or denominations. We all need to work together in the ministry of Jesus Christ.
- God speaks to people in their native languages and through His Word. When we share the Word of God in our English Bible study in Thailand, the Holy Spirit becomes the Teacher and even the Translator for our students who are a mix of speakers of English, Thai, Korean, Chinese, Urdu, etc.
- I have seen how He has drawn Buddhists, Muslims, and Atheists to Himself…not by fancy preachers and well-written sermons…. but by His anointed Word spoken by simple people.
- The Word has impressed on me the importance of “knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.” [Please take note that this is NOT my private interpretation of the Bible and simply the testimony of how it changed my life.]
On a psychological level
- I honestly don’t care if people call me crazy for allowing the Bible to change my life. It has made all the difference in my life, and I have no regrets.
- In fact, I’m crazy enough to believe that if you start reading this book and believe every single word… It will change your life as well. And you will have no regrets.
It’s not my place to convince you of anything. The best I can hope for is that this will inspire you to seek the truth for yourself and guide you to the place where you will find it.
Everything I write, I write knowing that I will never be able to write anything more true, relevant or beautiful than the Word of God.
Oh, how fortunate we are to have free access to and knowledge of this life changing Book! We get to speak life by speaking the words of the One who spoke this world into existence and is now living inside of us. If we do not take every single word He spoke and every living demonstration to heart, we risk wasting our lives!
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God,
and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction,
for instruction in righteousness”
– 2 Timothy 3:16 –
How did the Word of God change your life?.
Photo credit: Leon Skinner